Since the weather is getting somewhat warmer here in Illinois and its late April, I decided to make a S’mores cupcake for the first week of my challenge! Since I can’t go out camping and enjoy hot dogs and S’mores over an open fire (we have gotten a lot of rain lately and are taking precautions against flooding) I decided to bring them to my home!
This chocolate cupcake has a graham cracker crust bottom and is topped with a toasted marshmallow meringue frosting. I used a whisk and handmade the batter and the crust. Sadly the meringue had to be done with an electric mixer since I can’t whip fast enough for it. A chocolate hater and S’mores avoider enjoyed these cupcakes! Perfect for backyard camping trips or unique birthday parties, these fun cupcakes add a hint of summer to your spring days! These cupcakes are also super simple to make!
Just use your favorite chocolate cake recipe (or box mix if you are running short on time), a graham cracker crust recipe, and a simple meringue recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line two muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Make your chocolate cake batter and your crust mix in two separate bowls.
- Take a tablespoon of the crust mix and place it in the bottom of each liner. Press together with a flat bottom glass or measuring cup to form a bottom crust.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the trays from the oven and fill three quarters (3/4) of the way with batter.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick can be cleanly removed from the middle of the cupcakes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans then remove and allow to fully cool, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make your meringue recipe.
- Fill a pastry bag with the meringue and pipe onto your full cooled cupcakes. *If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can use a knife to spread the meringue on your cupcakes too.*
- Place the cupcakes on a flat cookie sheet and place back in the oven, using the broiler setting, for about 5 minutes or until the meringue is lightly toasted brown.
Serve and enjoy!
Let me know what you think of these cupcakes in the comments below. Did you make some yourself? I would love to see a picture of them! Post it to my Facebook page or email me a copy and let me know how they worked for you!